[NetBehaviour] Attention Please!... Measuring 'attention' with RFID

Katie Lips katielips at mac.com
Wed Apr 19 13:59:58 BST 2006

Hi there netbehaviour people, if any of you are into RFID, you might
be interested in our project...

http://www.attentionplease.co.uk

We're seeking gallery goers in Liverpool to take part in an
interactive experiment. The experiment asks nothing more than for
you, the audience to give your attention. “Attention Please!” is a
video installation with a difference; your attention is important and
valuable, pay your attention carefully, and it will be rewarded.

Your attention is valuable and should be rewarded. As people, ideas
and hot new products compete for our attention through TVs,
billboards, and the Internet, do they know if we're really paying
attention? What if your attention can be measured? What happens when
we pay attention to art? And if we do, will it change or react? Will
it know? Does it matter? It does now.

Attention Please! is an experiment with RFID (Radio Frequency
Identification) technology.  Artist Sara Smith is working with
technologists Katie Lips and Paul Stringer of Kisky Netmedia; mixing
techno tags with vivacious video.  We're exploring presence and your
effect on the art.

We’d love you to be part of our experiment. Pay attention at The Box,
FACT, 88 Wood Street, Liverpool, L1 4DQ.   03 & 04 May 2pm - 6pm It’s
free, just turn up or pay attention online at www.attentionplease.co.uk

Attention Please! An Experiment is a research project supported
through ITEM, the FACT’s research and development programme for new
media tools. ITEM is supported by NESTA and Arts Council England.
www.item.org.uk