[NetBehaviour] Occupy the University: Reconsidering the Local.

info info at furtherfield.org
Sun Jan 17 10:49:25 GMT 2010

Occupy the University: Reconsidering the Local.

Micha Cárdenas

Author’s Note
As this article goes to publication, the University of California is
erupting as a site of political conflict over the recent budget cuts,
tuition increases and furloughs. A UC wide strike and walkout of
faculty, staff and students has been called for on August 24th, 2009,
the first day of instruction. It seems that the UC’s disregard for the
health and wellbeing of their employees, as well as for the quality of
education, has reached an intolerable point for many. Many academics
have taken this opportunity to turn their research back to the
university itself, which is exemplified by UC Berkeley’s colloquium
event entitled “The University in Crisis: The Dismantling and
Destruction of the University of California.”[1]

In a conversation recorded for pros* journal, Teddy Cruz and Rick Lowe
agree that socially engaged art has the ability to actually change the
material conditions under which art is made and in which people’s lives
occur. They seem to agree that the best way to change housing conditions
is to engage at the level of local legislation, housing associations and
city governments. I would like to intervene on this point. While I agree
that socially engaged art can change people’s lives, my intervention, to
be simple, is to say that the decision about how to intervene is not so
simple. Cruz and Lowe urge artists to engage in local city politics, yet
I argue that perhaps an even more local focus may be more beneficial. In
her book When Species Meet, Donna Haraway describes a feminist approach
to political ethics, which accepts our finitude, contingency and
historical situatedness. Her approach acknowledges that from a position
of a lack of certainty, “there is no outside from which to answer that
mandatory question”[2] of what political action to take. Refusing to
take a political action is still a political action, and so we are faced
with “bearing the mortal consequences” of our choices of where to put
our artistic energies in this expanded field where any artistic practice
is apparently acceptable. My own affinity with a feminist ethics of
uncertainty grew out of my work with Avital Ronell at the European
Graduate School where I asked, “But how can we sit and discuss the deep
meaning of this punctuation mark while bombs are being dropped on
people?” Her response was, to paraphrase, that by introducing doubt into
commonly accepted definitions of ideas and political strategies, that
the decisions about dropping those bombs, or imprisoning people, may be
stalled, changed or ended.

more...
http://bang.calit2.net/pros/?page_id=11